From EUR 5
Located along the walls between Porta Maggiore and Santo Stefano, the building of Casa Carducci dates back to the 16th century and was initially the residence and oratory of the Confraternity of Santa Maria della Pietà. Giosuè Carducci, who moved to Bologna as a university professor, lived here, from 1890 to 1907 (the year of his death).
The Museum, which is housed on the ground floor since 1990, was established in 1893 to trace the history of Bologna from the French Revolution until the end of the First World War. The overall history of Bologna is part of the wider panorama of the period of the Italian unification, an epic undertaking, which is considered no longer exclusively from a military and heroic point of view, but as an integral part of civilian life, in its cultural, social, political and economic aspects.
On the first floor there is the apartment of Carducci, which is almost intact, and its Library which documents the best of literary production from the 16th to the 19th century. Here are preserved ancient editions of rare texts, the archive of Carducci himself where he has preserved his work in verse and prose and useful testimonies to document himself and to pass on his multi-faceted activity to posterity.
Visit to the Civic Museum of the Risorgimento
Piazza Carducci 5, 40125